Monday, October 05, 2009

Ben Taylor

Ben Taylor is a good friend of not many years. I’ve known of Ben since my junior year of college. He lived in Morris Hall my last two years. He also led worship often in chapel. So, like many of the Taylor population, I was aware of him vaguely. However, it wasn’t really until the spring of my first year as an assistant hall director that we began to know one another personally. He was hired as one of the male PA’s for the CRAM program, of which, I was the hall director. In the three weeks of CRAM we forged a the foundations of a friendship that, though it lacks in longevity, has developed a depth and a comfort level that cannot be mistaken as anything but authentic friendship.

I would describe Ben as saying that he is equal parts theologian and goofball. This combination makes for a good friend, but also for an excellent resident director, which is his profession of the moment. Students love him because he transitions back and forth between these two parts almost effortlessly in a way that asks them to follow along. To which, I’ve seen many all to happy to oblige. And who can blame them? How many people do you know that you would consider a deep thinker? Now, of those, are there any who you would say don’t take themselves too seriously? Exactly. That’s what makes Ben such a magnetic personality.

My friendship with Ben has been characterized by arguing and laughing; challenging and supporting. Discussing things with him is refreshing, because he’s not put off by my analytical/rational thoughts. In the few years of our friendship, he’s picked me up and pulled out of one of the lowest points in my life. I think that our conversations and interactions have contributed to a higher level self-awareness. I give him a hard time about being the most ‘inclusive’ person that I’ve ever met. I’m convinced that there is not a person in this world that, if within his physical proximity when he’s about ready to go do something, he would not feel obliged to invite to come along with him. Even though I give him a hard time for it, I’ve gotten to know some wonderful people as a result of those sorts of situations.

It is ridiculous that I’ve gotten this far without mentioning that Ben Taylor is a musician, and I’m not talking about some high school punk rocker or college aged emo kid. Ben Taylor is legitimately, a musician. His affinity for music is contagious. Whether listening, playing, singing, or writing music, Ben embodies this artistic expression in a way that I can only dream about. I am instantly excited when I get a new song recommendation from him, which I, without questions, immediately buy off of iTunes. Ben went on a Farewell concert tour last spring, but I’m hoping that the band will get back together and start doing some shows around here one of these days. I mean, there’s only about a million coffee shops around here… Let's make it happen Ben.

1 comment:

josiahdhatfield said...

This is the sappiest blog I have ever read...

... if it was anyone except Ben Taylor, I would object.

Hit CountersBlog Hit Counter